Monday, November 24, 2008

God's Divine Design


We can all see God in exceptional things, but it requires the culture of spiritual discipline to see God in every detail. Never allow that the haphazard is anything less than God's appointed order, and be ready to discover the Divine designs anywhere.

Oswald Chambers - My Utmost For His Highest - November 14


Our son likes to take pictures of clouds and the sky, and every so often he'll send one to my phone from his. He took this one when he was in the mountains about two months ago. As one who appreciates the never-ending variety of skyscapes offered in Colorado, I am so pleased that he sees beauty in it, too.

He and I were in the car this afternoon, talking about the Stealth bomber, the cruising altitude of commercial jets, the elevation of Mt. McKinley vs. Mt. Elbert, and the unusual cloud shapes to the southwest, over the foothills. Typical 14-year-old boy talk, I suppose. But then, he said something that made me pause.

"I'd like to fly through a sunset."

It was something I'd never thought about. Imagine that. Flying through a sunset. It sounded so poetic. We wondered if the clouds were as colorful while you were in them, or if the colors were enhanced by gazing upon them from the ground.



This is a sunset photo he sent me last week. Not bad for something taken from a moving car! When he got home, he said,

"It looked better in real life."

Things often do look better in real life. And just as that sunset was God's Divine design, so is the fact that our son is our son, and so are his poetic statements about life. The sweet little details of life. Real life.

No comments: