Friday, August 18, 2006

No Regrets


This afternoon I had the opportunity to see many former colleagues from my teaching days. I took our two children to an art show put on by a wonderful former principal of mine. (My poor children, who are cooped up at home, not being socialized properly!) I prepared them for the usual barrage of questions they would inevitably field.

I also steeled myself for the usual barrage of questions that are invariably lobbed my way. Public school teachers can be some of the most skeptical people when it comes to home schooling. You can see it in their eyes, behind the slightly uncomfortable smile. You hear it in their questions. "Are you in a home school group? Do you do any outside activities? Do you have to take the CSAP (Colorado statewide testing)? You aren't going to teach high school, are you? I bet they're really smart! Is it hard? Do you like it?"

Many of my friends took early retirement. And now they're traveling to foreign countries. Driving nice cars. Pursuing hobbies. Finding their creative sides. Puttering around in their gardens. Painting.

I don't have any spectacular photographs taken in Nepal to put in an art show. I can't talk about what Heathrow was like yesterday in London. But I have no regrets. I get to spend every day with my two precious children. I get to see them learn. I get to travel alongside them in their Christian walk. We get to pray and sing hymns every morning. We have Creation as the first event in our timeline of world history.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to brush up on those high school requirements. Let's see...that's four years of English, four years of....

No comments: