Friday, February 01, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly


A week or so ago, I received an e-newsletter from a lady who used to have a catalog geared to home schoolers. Now she is into internet businesses. Her newsletter was touting a new DVD conference given by a millionaire who made his money on internet businesses. I clicked on a link to check it out, just out of curiosity. What I found was not pretty. This millionaire can't seem to spring for an editor. His advertisement was full of misspellings and punctuation errors. Clicking on the link caused me to receive multiple unsolicited e-mails from him daily for about a week. And to add insult to injury, I discovered that this Christian home school mom was receiving money for every person who clicked on the link. I felt used and angry.

That's the bad and the ugly.

Now, the good.

Two Christian agrarian blogs which I read often are both offering help to other agrarians out there. Scott at Homesteader Life wants to find homes for some good milk cows. Northern Farmer is giving away corn seeds.

These two unselfish men are willing to help others get started in a lifestyle which they appreciate greatly. They aren't in it to get rich quick. Or to beat the system. They want to raise their families...living off the land, simply, and together.

Just thought it was an interesting comparison.

2 comments:

Einar (and Cindy, now and then) said...

Hello: I ended up here because I just added "pioneer women" to list of interests - then clicked on it, and lo and behold, it's you and me. I was then interested to learn that you homeschool, or so it seems, because I spent 10 years at a place called Clonlara School, working with homeschoolers, some even in Colorado. You're not .. . . . no, probably not. Life is supposed to be interesting. Einar

Deb said...

Hi, Einar!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message. I find it hard to believe that in all of Blogger you and I are the only ones to put "pioneer women" as a category!

You have some wonderful photos of statues at your blog. Not being quite so artistically inclined myself, I just read about pioneer women. And admire them, for their fortitude!

Yes, we home school. We haven't done anything with Clonlara School, though.

We haven't been down there in a while, but we've been to Taos a few times. It's beautiful country where you live!

Now you've gotten me psyched up to post some things about pioneers, but I already have so many things in the pipeline of my brain...

There aren't enough hours in the day!