Monday, September 08, 2008

The Imitation of Christ - Part 1


Our ladies' Bible study has decided to read The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis (c. 1379-1471). Kempis (so named, for his native town of Kempen) was an Augustinian monk. The version I am reading states that his was "...an uneventful life spent in copying manuscripts, reading, and composing, and in the peaceful routine of monastic piety."

The book is arranged into four books, which are then subdivided into very short chapters. My public library version, updated in 1993, lacks the preciseness and beauty of the Gutenberg version I'm reading on line.

For example, the title of Chapter 1 in the modern version is On Following Christ Our Model. The Gutenberg version has translated the title as Of the imitation of Christ, and of contempt of the world and all its vanities.

It may be quicker to read, "It is better to experience contrition than to be able to define it."

But I prefer the poetry of, "I had rather feel contrition than be skilful in the definition thereof."

(This photo I found on line may be the monastery where Kempis lived.)

No comments: