Wednesday, April 01, 2009

The Imitation of Christ - Part 10


Excerpts from The Imitation of Christ - Thomas a Kempis
Book 1 Chapter 10
Of the Danger of Superfluity of Words


Avoid as far as thou canst the tumult of men; for talk concerning worldy things, though it be innocently undertaken, is a hindrance, so quickly are we led captive and defiled by vanity.

Therefore must we watch and pray that time pass not idly away. If it be right and desirable for thee to speak, speak things which are to edification.

Nevertheless, devout conversation on spiritual things helpeth not a little to spiritual progress, most of all where those of kindred mind and spirit find their ground of fellowship in God.


How I am convicted of harsh words uttered from my lips. Even this day. And how very, very thankful I am for friends of "kindred mind and spirit" with whom I can fellowship.

(Photo of nuns at St. Walburga Abbey. I have visited here, and never fail to come away a changed person. This photo originally appeared in an article from the Ft. Collins, Colorado, newspaper. I found it on this blog and am borrowing (?) it.

No comments: