Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Resting Wholly Upon God


Excerpts from The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
Book 1 Chapter 12
Of the Uses of Adversity

It is good for us that we sometimes have sorrows and adversities, for they often make a man lay to heart that he...not put his trust in any worldly thing.
...a man ought to rest wholly upon God.


I just returned Sunday from a week in West Virginia. My younger brother broke his femur in late February and was hospitalized for a month and a half. My mom went to help him, broke two vertebrae in her back and had to have surgery.

I fretted with deciding about going. What would happen to our daughter? She was frantic about me flying, and being away from her. When would be the best time to go? Who needed the most help and when? Could I get my mother to fly back with me? What would we do with her car that was in West Virginia?

There were so many questions, and I didn't know the answers to any of them! I prayed. I had friends pray. I read my Bible. I prayed some more. I tried to rest in Him. Truth be told, I fretted more than rested, and didn't see an easy way to solve all the problems.

But, I went anyway, hoping to solve a few of the questions that had perplexed me for days. I went to help my brother and mother with their immediate needs. I finally realized I couldn't solve every problem. I just had to focus on what needed to be done now. And then, God, in His infinite mercy and grace, solved EVERYTHING else, too! It didn't work out as I suspected, but He worked it all out. It still seems like a dream. But it's all very real and mysterious and amazing.

Thank you, Lord, for adversity. And thank you for praying friends, mercy, and answers to questions in ways we could never imagine.

(Photo of a West Virginia forest comes from
this website. When you drive down the hill from the airport in Charleston, you are welcomed by a beautiful wooded area similar to the photo above.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbi, I really enjoy Thomas Kempis! He has a way of really making you think! I know I use Debylin on my blog. But it is actually spelled Debbie Lynn. I just shortened it. Thanks for visiting my blog. When we travel to Texas we will be stopping in Oregon and then Arizona for a bit. My husbands sister lives there. Then heading towards the ranch. Thanks for the offer if things change I will let you know.
Blessings Debylin

Deb said...

Debbie,

I will be praying for you to have a safe trip to TX. Don't get discouraged if (when!) obstacles rear their ugly heads. It sounds like you're doing the right thing!

I was just thinking of my overabundance of lavender seedlings that I could share if you were to come through Denver. :)

Safe travels. I'll look forward to your first posts from the ranch!

Deb