Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Swirling Winds of Life


I think my brain is mush.

We get so caught up in the culture of our time and place. (Think: magazine covers in the supermarket line, basketball finals, new Rockies baseball manager, movies, Obama's latest apology tour to Europe, etc.) We forget the "real" world. The world out there, that is hurting, wounded, and in need of the Savior.

This past Sunday, we had a visit at church from a missionary from Free Burma Rangers. They minister to the displaced ethnic peoples of Burma. He was accompanied by about 50 refugees from Burma who now live in Denver. They sang some hymns in their native Karen language. We also saw pictures of Burmese people running from the occupying army. They carried everything they owned in large baskets strapped to their backs. Sobering.

Just found out yesterday, my mom may have cancer in her bone marrow.

I was rear-ended by a car yesterday on my way home from taking my mom to the doctor. Neck is a little sore.

This afternoon we watched a funnel cloud forming in the skies north of us. I've never seen the funnel cloud actually swirling like that before. The funnel went horizontally and never came close to touching down, but it was awesome anyway. It makes you feel quite insignificant and in awe of God's creation and power to see such a sight.

I found out tonight that one of my brothers probably had two strokes last weekend. He's only 52 and not a Christian.


On a lighter note, but monumental in our immediate lives nonetheless: our almost fifteen year old son is now being texted by two girls from church. Literally overnight, he's entered the world of boy-girl stuff. We weren't ready for that!

Both kids were gone tonight (sleepovers), and my sweet husband agreed to watch Sense and Sensibility with me. (HIS idea! Theater version with Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant.) It was a nice diversion from the turmoil in my life.

I'd appreciate prayers for my brother, Scott, his wife and three children. They live in Ireland. Quite a ways from me in Colorado. Hopefully, he will soon be released from the hospital in Dublin.

I know that God is always in control. He is always with me. I seek to do His will.

(Photo comes from the web--taken this afternoon by newspaper photographer, David Jennings. This is the tornado we saw.)

No comments: