Sunday, January 22, 2006

"There's a Wideness in God's Mercy"


God's mercy is indeed wide! That He would search me out, when I wasn't looking for Him, and draw me to Himself....that is mercy both wide and deep.

I share these words in memory of my father, Lee Cadle McMillen (April 14, 1928-May 25, 2004).


There's a Wideness in God's Mercy
by Frederick William Faber (1814-1863)

There's a wideness in God's mercy
like the wideness of the sea;
there's a kindness in God's justice,
which is more than liberty.
There is welcome for the sinner,
and more graces for the good;
there is mercy with the Savior;
there is healing in his blood.
There is no place where earth's sorrows
are more felt than up in heaven;
there is no place where earth's failings
have such kindly judgment given.
There is plentiful redemption
in the blood that has been shed;
there is joy for all the members
in the sorrows of the Head.

For the love of God is broader
than the measure of the mind;
and the heart of the Eternal
is most wonderfully kind.
If our love were but more faithful,
we should trust God's every word;
and our life would be thanksgiving
for the goodness of the Lord.


This site has a recording of a non-traditional melody using the words of this hymn.

2 comments:

MM said...

Hi, I found your blog while searching for this hymn online. I sang this song in college to a more modern melody than those I have been able to find thusfar. Verse 3 "For the love of God is broader than the measure of a man's mind, and the heart of the Eternal is most wonderfully kind." was more of a chorus. Any idea where I could find that tune?

Thanks and God bless.
Mary-Margaret

Deb said...

I'll look around and see what I can find.