Monday, January 29, 2007

When Bad Things Happen to Good People


Just a few last comments on Job, begun on a previous post.

One could argue that Job is the poster boy for the sentiment of Rabbi Kushner's book: When Bad Things Happen to Good People. I never read this book and it's probably just as well, for the true paradox is quite the opposite. Why do GOOD things happen to BAD (sinful) people?

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..
Romans 3:23 (NKJV)

I have never experienced the depth of loss that Job felt. And yet I've found that it's easy to wallow in self-pity, thinking more highly of myself than I ought. It's difficult to accept troubles and trials with humble gratitude towards God, especially when it appears that others around us are not in similar situations. But, our Lord tells us not to compare ourselves to others. We are to keep our eyes fixed upon the Savior and follow Him.

Then Peter turning around saw the disciple whom Jesus loved...[and] said to Jesus, "But Lord what about this man?"

Jesus said to him, "If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me."

John 21: 20-22 (NKJV)

No comments: