Saturday, March 10, 2007

Of Wasps and Wimps


This afternoon, while cleaning some things from outside, I inadvertently awakened a hibernating wasp from his slumber. So upset and startled was he, that he promptly stung me on the middle finger of my right hand. I immediately put my finger on an ice regime, and read our First Aid book, which said to do the same thing. It didn't help one bit. Then I tried soaking my hand in warm water. Perhaps that would help. Nope.

After (not too graciously) enduring pain for several hours, I felt no better, and considered my self quite the wimp. After taking Tylenol, to no avail, I did a computer search for some alternative pain relievers. I tried an antihistamine. No good. I tried white vinegar. Didn't work. Several websites suggested chewing up some Plantain (a common weed) and applying the substance to the site. Not sure we have any Plantain growing yet.

Then, FINALLY, I found something that worked.

Mix together:

1 tsp chopped onion
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Apply the paste to the sting site with a clean cotton cloth. Hold the cloth tightly for 15 minutes.

The recipe did the trick, and I can finally type with relative ease. This whole episode got me to thinking...

How many times do we apply the world's remedies to a situation in our lives? Aren't the results usually ineffective? But then, what happens when we try a simple and more natural remedy, that was given to us by God? Works every time, doesn't it?

No comments: