Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ruby Red Glass



At the risk of sounding like I'm promoting the famous expensive coffee shop you find all over America...

I hadn't been in one for about a year, but I found myself there on Sunday afternoon while waiting for my son to finish a Scout activity. I perchanced to read this very interesting quote on my tea cup:





"I don't know if something can be too colorful. Color is one of the great properties of glass and is more intense in glass than any other material. Imagine entering Chartres Cathedral and looking up at the rose window: you can see a one-inch square of ruby red glass from 300 feet away."

Dale Chihuly
Artist and glassblower



When you are inside a church, the intensity of the sun illumines those small pieces of colored glass in the windows, just as the Son illumines the Father for us.

Conversely, when it is dark outside and you are looking INTO a church that is lit up, you can see the colorful stained glass windows from your vantage point. We need to be like that beautiful window. Lit from within by our Lord, and laying open the truth to those in darkness.

(photo of the rose window at Chartres Cathedral, France)

No comments: