Tuesday, April 24, 2007

"What Is That To You?"


Sunday's Gospel reading was from John 21; where Jesus appears to His disciples while they are fishing and later reinstates Simon Peter. Simon Peter, seeing John, asks, "Lord, what about him?"

Jesus answers, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow Me."

These words of Jesus became very real to me many years ago when we struggled with infertility. I saw friends and family all around us getting pregnant, while we weren't. I often asked God why we couldn't we get pregnant, too. When I read these words in John 21, I could picture Him saying, "If I want her to have 10 children, what is that to you? You must follow Me."

I often forget that the same sentiment applies to me today. Sometimes I wish I had more stylish clothes, a newer car, a nicer house, vacations, fewer bills, family members who were believers, etc.

It doesn't matter what things I wish I had or what trials I am experiencing.

It all boils down to this: I am to follow my Lord, Jesus Christ.

No comments: