Sunday, June 10, 2007

"Breathe on Me, Breath of God"


I always thought this hymn was written recently because of its simplicity, but its author was Englishman Edwin Hatch (1835-1889).

Biographers have written:

"Hatch was a man of deep piety and simplicity of spirit..."

"Hatch was an esteemed member of the Oxford University faculty, ... but when it came to expressing his faith in ways that would speak to the ordinary person, nobody has done it better than Edwin Hatch did..."

"Dr. Hatch was widely known for his scholarship and lectures in early church history. Despite his scholarly attainments, Hatch was said to have possessed a faith as 'simple and unaffected as a child's.'"

Towards the end of his life, Hatch was the rector in Purleigh, England(pictured above).


"Breathe on Me, Breath of God"


Breathe on me, breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love,
And do what Thou wouldst do.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
Until my heart is pure,
Until with Thee I will one will,
To do and to endure.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
Blend all my soul with Thine,
Until this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life
Of Thine eternity.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Three years ago I was wandering around [mental hospital] completely shattered physically, emotionally and spiritually. The mental torment I was experiencing was absolutely terrifying. Every waking second, I was having horrifying images from my past. I thought I was being punished for my past sins. My whole life flashed before my eyes and I felt I had failed miserably in my journey through life. The whole experience was an awakening [THE LONG DARK NIGHT OF THE SOUL] a metamorphosis. God was slowly penetrating the shield I had put up all those desperate years. I had no "I" - that is what God wanted for me, to become Christ centered, not “I” centered [in retrospect]. There is nothing in this world, but the saving grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. He eventually delivered me from my HELL; when I got down on my knees and asked Him for mercy and forgiveness for my sins. God breathed on me. Praise the LORD!!
PEACE BE WITH YOU
MICKY

Deb said...

Micky,
Thanks for stopping by. Praise God for your deliverance!

God has a special place in His heart for orphans. May you ALWAYS be convinced of His love for you.