Sunday, December 02, 2007

"Wake, Awake"


First Sunday of Advent

I wish I could have sung this hymn today. It is one of the recommended hymns to accompany today's scripture readings. The fact that it's composed by J.S. Bach is usually a guarantee that it goes straight to my "Favorites" list!

Part of the hymn includes these words:

Ah come, Thou blessèd One, God’s own belovèd Son:
Alleluia! We follow till the halls we see
Where Thou hast bid us sup with Thee.


Before I was a Christian, I knew that Christmas was a celebration of the birth of Jesus. My family put up our creche every year. The one we made at the church we attended when I was ages 9-11. But I didn't understand who He was, why He had to come, and certainly not why He had to die and be resurrected.

Each Christmas as I get older, I am afforded more and more glimpses into the answers to these questions.

May I continue to marvel in the miracle of the Baby Who came to die for me and may I learn what it means to follow Him.

(Don't forget to first turn off the blog music by scrolling down on the right. Then you can go to the link above and hear the hymn played and read all verses. Illustration above is of Johann S. Bach in his earlier years.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We work on learning 2 or 3 new Psalms and hymns each month, and then sing (at least) one of the new songs every Lord's Day for a month, so as to firmly implant the various parts into our minds.

This is the song which we have been singing week after week in December. I think our church agrees with you: we like it!

Deb said...

Hi, Jon!

I'm so encouraged to hear what your church is doing! I can't tell you how discouraged we are with our current church situation. It's a long story, but we've gone from organ accompaniment and a real hymnal to a praise band with an overhead for the majority of the singing.

Sing extra loud on Sunday morning, and I'll join in on alto!

Christmas blessings to you, your family, and your congregation.

Deb