Thursday, July 03, 2008

Independence Day Eve



I was taking my son's sheets off the clothesline. The sun's unmistakable fragrance still clinging to them, although the source of that familiar scent had just recently disappeared behind the mountains.

It was then that I spied the large bird out of the corner of my eye. 'Probably a goose,' I thought at first, not giving it much thought. And yet, it was alone. My mind perked up a bit. 'Perhaps a blue heron,' I decided as I removed the pillowcases. I searched for those tell-tale impossibly long legs trailing behind, but there were none.

Just as the creature glided noiselessly overhead, I realized I had almost missed its signature white feathered head and tail. I was being blessed in my chores by a bald eagle! God, in His infinite mercy and majesty, had reminded me of His truth while I humbly removed the clothespins and wash from my line.

But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.


Isaiah 40:31 (NKJV)

No comments: