Sunday, August 24, 2008

"King of Glory, King of Peace"


I just discovered this hymn at Sing for Joy and have been singing it repeatedly! I can't find this version elsewhere on the internet, but you can go to the Sing for Joy website. This particular hymn is about 2/3 of the way through the program. If you find the blue "knob" that shows how far you've gotten into the show, and push it about 2/3 of the way across, you'll be close to this hymn. It's worth trying to figure it out.

Or, better yet. Just listen to the whole show! Remember to silence my blog music first (down on the righthand side bar).

There's an interesting story about the hymn's author, George Herbert (1593-1632), pictured above. See if you don't agree with me that we should be grateful that the manuscript was saved by his brother.

"King of Glory, King of Peace"

King of glory, King of peace,
I will love Thee;
And that love may never cease,
I will move Thee.
Thou hast granted my request,
Thou hast heard me;
Thou didst note my working breast,
Thou hast spared me.

Wherefore with my utmost art
I will sing Thee,
And the cream of all my heart
I will bring Thee.
Though my sins against me cried,
Thou alone didst clear me;
And alone, when they replied,
Thou didst hear me.

Seven whole days, not one in seven,
I will praise Thee;
In my heart, though not in Heaven,
I can raise Thee.
Small it is, in this poor sort
To enroll Thee:
E’en eternity’s too short
To extol Thee.

No comments: