Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Dreaded Task


The basement weighs on my heart; some times more than others. And as cluttered as this looks, it's one of the better sections of the basement. Boxes, baskets, stuffed animals, old National Geographics, plastic grocery bags holding who-knows-what is bad enough. I wouldn't dare step back and show you a wide angle view.

I keep thinking I need to get the rest of the house in better order before I tackle the basement. But I think this is just an excuse to avoid it entirely.

I read this verse recently, and was nudged yet again that I need to begin my basement project. Maybe tackling the basement should be a winter chore after Christmas.

Some background before the verse: When the exiles return from Babylon and rebuild the wall, Nehemiah realizes that there aren't enough people to defend the city. He devises a plan to bring some people from the tribes of Benjamin and Judah to settle in Jerusalem. Nehemiah calls for genealogical records and makes a census of sorts, counting all of the various tribes of people.

During this census, there were six families who could not prove that they were descended from Israel:

They searched for their family records, but they could not find them and so were excluded from the priesthood as unclean. Nehemiah 7: 64

Now, this should make me want to get myself in gear!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you meant to be funny...but I haven't laughed so hard all day as when I read your interpretation of this verse. I'm still shaking with laughter, in fact. Perhaps it's because I can relate too well...regarding the basement and finding things anywhere in this house. And also hope to change.

Deb said...

Sure, Josie...laugh at me in my failings! :)

I actually didn't mean to be THAT funny. I figure we can take instruction from ANYthing in the Bible. Everytime I come across this verse (which is repeated elsewhere), I am convicted of my messiness in the basement.

I am glad you were able to laugh. Laughter is good for us!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I think it's just the idea that they might have kept their genealogical records in their messy basements, and were excluded as unclean because they neglected to pack up discarded stuffed animals and old National Geographics and run them to Salvation Army. :-) The records were there, they just couldn't get to them through the piles of STUFF. :-) And believe me, I can relate! I pick up roadside branches to make into ornaments, plant-stands, whatever, and extras tend to end up tagged in little piles in the basement. Just last week I made myself carry out two armloads of branches and throw them into the ravine. And you're right: we can take instruction from anything in the Bible. I've recited verses that I felt the Lord was applying to me, to pastors, and have had them burst out laughing, now that I think about it, so...thanks for not minding.

Deb said...

I brought up some branches from the basement just this afternoon! They are our Jesse Tree for the Advent season, but I thought you'd get a kick out of that!

Just call me your comic relief!
:)