Sunday, February 12, 2006

"Amazing Grace"


The kids and I sang "Amazing Grace" in school this past week. Since we are fairly familiar with it, we tried singing parts for the first time ever. Our daughter (age 9) held her own on the soprano line. Our son (age 11) tried his hand at the alto part with me. What a joy it was to sing this hymn together with them!

John Newton (1725-1807) wrote the words to the first four verses. John Rees (1828-1900) added the 5th verse. Newton is reported as saying shortly before his death, "My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner and that Christ is a great Savior!"

Newton penned his own epitaph for his grave marker,
JOHN NEWTON, Clerk
Once an infidel and libertine
A servant of slaves in Africa,
Was, by the rich mercy of our Lord and Saviour
JESUS CHRIST,
restored, pardoned, and ap­point­ed to preach
the Gospel which he had long laboured to destroy.
He min­is­tered,
Near sixteen years in Ol­ney, in Bucks,
And twenty-eight years in this Church.


"Amazing Grace"

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!

Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me,
His Word my hope secures;
He will my Shield and Portion be,
As long as life endures.

When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we’d first begun.


(The first verse in Korean)
아놀라우신 주님의 은혜! 나같이 비천한 몸도 구원해 주신 그 음성
얼마나 감미로운가
한때는 길을 잃고 헤매었지만 난 이제 구원을 받았다네
또 한때는 눈뜬장님이었으나 이제 난 볼 수 없었던 영적인 세계도 볼 수 있다네

No comments: