Sunday, March 19, 2006

"Be Thou My Vision"


I had originally planned to choose another Lenten hymn this week, but we sang this in church today, and I was reminded of how much I love this hymn. The text was written in Ireland in the 8th century, but not translated into English in 1905. The melody is a traditional Irish tune, "Slane." (This photo is of Slane Hill in Ireland, where St. Patrick is said to have lit the bonfire which led to the introduction of Christianity in Ireland in 433 A.D. These ruins are from a 16th century monastery.)

Go here for the tune if you wish to sing along. I prefer this arrangement which sounds more like a real organ, but the translation of the some of the verses aren't quite as easy to sing as the one written below and in the first link. This version also has a fifth verse with which I am not familiar. It is inserted in the middle as the third verse, and I quite like it!

"Be Thou My Vision"

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would just like to take a moment to thank you for posting this hymn. I am currently researching for a book about monastic life in Ireland in the 8th century and this hymn is really a gem. Many thanks,

Gearoid O'Hallmhurain.

Deb said...

Thank you for writing! I absolutely love this hymn, too. It's one of my top favorites.

Are you from Ireland? My brother and his family are currently living in County Kildare.

I'd like to know how your book comes along. It sounds very interesting. This comes a little earlier than the 8th century, but I thought you'd like to know that we named our son after St. Brendan the Navigator.