Sunday, March 12, 2006

"Jesus, Priceless Treasure"


The scripture verses read in church this morning had the common theme of Jesus as the Shepherd. Some of the words in this Lenten hymn remind me of a protective shepherd, guarding his flock, so I'll sing this with my children in school this week.


"Jesus, Priceless Treasure," written by two Germans in 1753, was harmonized by J.S. Bach 80 years later. Englishwoman Catherine Winkworth translated the hymn into English in 1863. Go here to read the remaining verses and hear the melody of this hymn.

"Jesus, Priceless Treasure"

Jesus, priceless Treasure,
Source of purest pleasure,
Truest Friend to me.
Ah, how long in anguish
Shall my spirit languish,
Yearning, Lord, for Thee?
Thou art mine, O Lamb divine!
I will suffer naught to hide Thee,
Naught I ask beside Thee.

In Thine arms I rest me;
Foes who would molest me
Cannot reach me here.
Though the earth be shaking,
Every heart be quaking,
Jesus calms my fear.
Lightnings flash and thunders crash;
Yet, though sin and hell assail me,
Jesus will not fail me.

No comments: