Thursday, July 06, 2006

Building Meaningful Family Worship


Home School Conference--Part 3

Kevin Swanson, executive director of Christian Home Educators of Colorado and pastor of an OPC church, spoke on the importance of family worship. His thoughts dovetailed quite nicely with those of Doug Phillips and R.C. Sproul, Jr.

Swanson began by sharing an interview he heard with a Catholic college provost on the Hugh Hewitt radio show. The provost said, "Western civilization is falling apart," citing the low birth rate in Europe and the fading importance of the Christian church. But, the guest added that there is some hope left in the US because of the home school movement. He called these homes the "monasteries of the New Dark Age." What an important task we face if we look at our responsibilities in that light!

Swanson then proceeded to make many compelling points urging us to spend time, DAILY, in family worship. He talked about the importance of integrating our faith into our daily lives. This integration is difficult if we don't have habitual practice. We need to have family worship EVERY day; it is too easy to get our priorities jumbled very quickly. If we don't do it every day, we send the message to our children that it's not important.

Swanson also praised his parents for the Godly upbringing he received. He listed the reasons he and his five siblings are strong in their faith:
1. they were home schooled and protected from negative outside influences
2. they had daily 40 minute family worship
3. their mother prayed diligently for them
4. God's grace
5. singing--it brings God word into the heart

4 comments:

Randi said...

Hi there,

I am looking through your blog posts and I suspect that you are posting your reflections on the CHEC homeschool conference a couple of weeks ago? My hubby and I attended and we had a wonderful time of refreshment and encouragement. We heard Mr Sproul speak and also Gregg Harris and Marcia Somerville--all of it wonderful! I will be reading over these posts--thanks for sharing!

Deb said...

Randi,
Welcome to my little corner of blogdom! Yes, I am posting a few comments about the CHEC conference. My hubby and I went, and were encouraged as well. I'd love to know what you learned. I don't sit down at the computer enough to keep as current on my blog as I'd like, but stop by anytime!

Anonymous said...

Deb we're a homeschool family. Always looking for ways of improving things. We like going to the big conferences whenever we can but weren't able to make it to the CHEC event. Maybe next year, but after some things I just read I don't know. I just came across a very interesting article that you should read. Maybe you could give us your take on it too. RC Sproul Jr Divides Homeschool Groups Thanks Deb and keep up the good work.

Sally

Deb said...

Sally,
Thank you for writing and sending me the link. I took a look at it and I truly don't know what to think. There are obviously some people who are VERY displeased with R.C. Sproul, Jr., including the link you sent. Someone else commented when I wrote this post, and left some more links that were anti-Sproul, Jr. As I told her, I don't have the time or inclination to study each link with a fine tooth comb. I pray that the truth will be revealed in short order, for the benefit of all parties involved.