Sunday, July 09, 2006

"To Thee, O Lord, I Lift Mine Eyes"


My husband and I had a rehearsal this morning, so we didn't make it to church. We always feel out of sorts when we can't worship on Sunday morning, so thankfully it doesn't happen too often. We miss the singing, the confession, the teaching, the communion, the quiet, the fellowship...

Some churches used Psalm 123 as one of their scripture readings this morning, so I thought I'd post a hymn that's new to me, based upon this Psalm.

The hymn was written by American preacher, Robert Lowry (1826-1899). There are two different melodies commonly used with these words. I am using the lesser known of the two.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (12 years old today) TO MY PRECIOUS SON!!!!! May you always lift up your eyes to the Lord.

"To Thee, O Lord, I Lift Mine Eyes"

To thee, O Lord, I lift mine eyes,
O thou enthroned above the skies;
As servants watch their master's hand,
Or maidens by their mistress stand,
So to the Lord our eyes we raise,
Until his mercy he displays.

O Lord, our God, thy mercy show,
For man's contempt and scorn we know;
Reproach and shame thy saints endure
From wicked men who dwell secure;
Man's proud contempt and scorn we know;
O Lord, our God, Thy mercy show.

2 comments:

JFC said...

Psalm 123 was our responsive reading this past Sunday at church. It is a favorite of mine as it talks of relying on the Lord when we are being scorned by the proud, at ease, contemptuous afflicters of our souls.

Deb said...

Hi, again. Good to hear from you! I also like the picture in verse 1 of looking up to the heavens. Whenever I feel oppressed it's amazing how getting outside and looking up to the sky will renew me.