Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tuesday Night Musings


I attended a city council meeting tonight and was involved in the conversations of others attending the meeting. I heard things such as: where people had been or were going for weekend getaways in the mountains, people who have met Bill Clinton and rave about his charisma, going out for $300 dinners (for two) but getting it reimbursed by Mystery Shopper, so-and-so got teacher of the month on a local TV station, praising someone for doing "it all," etc. It all made me realize that I am so thankful for my life when it gets right down to it. My life is pretty much my family and church, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I don't want to be on a million committees that take me away from my family, I don't need public praise of my teaching abilities, I don't need to name drop who I've met or been in the same room with at the White House.

Some of it's my age. But most of it is my faith. I am a child of the Living God. Who I am in Him is what counts. What He thinks is what counts.

And here's another sad thing I observed at the city council meeting. A developer was proposing a Montessori school in a new neighborhood. It would be a "school" for children ages 6 weeks (!) to 6 years. Not only was I appalled thinking of someone dropping their 6 week old baby off at a Montessori school (open 6 am to 6 pm), but there was parking for only 27 or 29 vehicles (I forget exactly). The school plans a staff of 22. That doesn't leave a whole lot of space for parents to visit, now does it? 'Just give us your kids. We know what's best for them! We don't want you nosing around in our building and messing things up!'

In our little home school every day, we find a Bible verse we like, we write it down in a notebook, share it, and say what we think it means. Here's what my children wrote today.

Our son wrote:
A good name is better than fine perfume, and the day of death better than the day of birth.
Ecclesiastes 7:1

Our daughter wrote:
Better is a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting with strife.
Proverbs 17:1

And you know, they knew what those verses meant! That's so much richer than seeing myself on TV, being praised for teaching someone else's kids. That's so much more satisfying that being able to say that President Clinton introduced me to Nelson Mandella.

Praise God!! Thank you for showing me how great my life is!

(picture of our two precious ones studying their Catechism last week)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very encouraging thoughts. Thanks Deb. SS

Deb said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Yes, it is encouraging. I want to keep focused on what we're doing and why. It's ALL worth it!