Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Imitation of Christ - Part 5


Book 1
Chapter 5
Of the Reading of Holy Scriptures


Our house holds lots of books. We haven't been able to buy like what we used to when I was working full time, but nonetheless, we still have tons of books. In addition, I give my library card a work out, so we manage to have new titles rotating around here all the time.

I always think to myself, "If only I could actually READ all of these books." Or better yet, "If only I could REMEMBER what I have already read!" And then there's my ultimate goal, "If only I could SYNTHESIZE all that's held in these books."

Ponder what Kempis has to say about reading:

~ We ought to read books which are devotional and simple, as well as those which are deep and difficult.

~ ...let the love of the pure Truth draw thee to read.

~ Men pass away, but the truth of the Lord endureth for ever.

~ If thou wouldst profit by thy reading, read humbly, simply, honestly, and not desiring to win a character for learning.


Another translation for this last sentence reads,

"...read with humility, simplicity, and faith..."

I like that.

No comments: