Monday, October 06, 2008

Sign of the Times




Did this make you kind of sick?

I took our daughter to a ballet performance yesterday afternoon. She loves to dance and wants to be at the studio as much as possible. The next best thing to being able to dance herself, is watching others dance. We were in a good mood, and looking forward to the afternoon.

On the way to the theater, we passed a church that has one of those signs with letters you change to make new sayings every week. I couldn't believe what they put up. I think I gasped, I was so taken aback.

Now, incorrect usage of apostrophes and the letter s really bugs me. But that pales in comparison to the message. It's so flippant and denegrating. You read the sign and are more apt to think of a beer commercial rather than our Savior on the cross.

Judging by the attire we spotted, many people were traveling that road to go to the Denver Bronco football game, or to a bar or friend's house to watch the game. Maybe the church thought they'd catch the eye of that captive audience with their "clever" quip. Instead, I thought it cheapened the gospel. It made a mockery of our Lord's sacrifice.

It was another example of Christians copying the culture and not doing it very well.

(I don't know the name of the church we passed. I made this sign up at churchsigngenerator.com to closely approximate the type of sign I saw. Unfortunately, I copied the words exactly as they were on the real sign.)

2 comments:

Jeffrey Alan Klute said...

Yes, signs like that do make us feel the sickness that pervades the church.

And it bug's me no ends that people use the s and the apostrophes in the wrong ways.

Deb said...

I no, it make's me so mad when people dont know how to punctuate. Im so glad theirs someone else who fells the same weigh!!!!

Thanks for the laugh, Jeffrey!

The kids and I went on a walk yesterday, and I had a great unobstructed view of Long's Peak. I thought of your parents and prayed for them.

Now, I've got to work on another post so I don't get hit with this sign when I open up my blog next time.