Monday, October 27, 2008

Seriously


On the way home from ballet, our daughter and I have our usual, predictable conversations. She tells me about her class(es) and how her friends are. We discuss the merits of various songs on the radio, and we comment on the construction of the fast food places where there used to be an open field.

Last week she surprised me with, "When I grow up I want to marry a rich man so he can buy me those orange trash bags with pumpkins on them, and we can have lots of kids."

I wanted to chuckle, but I could tell she was serious.

I thought to myself, "We are really frugal if she equates purchasing pumpkin trash bags with being wealthy! Do I say 'no' (aka: we can't afford it) that often?" Then I thought how my heart is always happy when she mentions that she wants lots of children. I would love to have lots of grandchildren in due time. Next, I thought how her comment was so twelve-year-oldish. She's straddling two worlds, and will for some time. One foot in childhood, and one foot leading into adulthood. And finally, I was reminded how I pray often that she chooses a husband wisely; a loving, patient, godly, strong Christian, who will be able to provide for her and those "lots of children."

Maybe I'll splurge on those trash bags after all. Sometimes, when you're twelve, a few of your dreams need to come true.

And don't you chuckle now. I can be serious, too.

No comments: