Friday, November 28, 2008

Giving Thanks


God's grace.

Last Saturday, we had driven out into the country to glean the fields at Miller Farms and pick some free food. Unfortunately, so had 40,000 other people. The generous Miller family certainly didn't have that much parking space. They didn't have that much food either. So they had to call in a sheriff to direct traffic and turn people away.

Two nights ago, a friend from church called. Another friend of hers had been one of the fortunate few to pick some food last Saturday, and she had more than she could use. My friend brought us some of the excess food. Thanks to the generosity of others, we ended up getting food from Miller Farms after all! He provides!

I put the traditional five kernels of corn on everyone's plate yesterday as I finished up the last of the table setting. Thirty minutes later, I sat there, eating my fill of food, gazing at those kernels. Thankful for the perseverance of the Pilgrims. Thankful that I've never, ever had only five kernels of corn to serve my children. And knowing full well that it's nothing I have done to deserve this bounty.

It's just God's grace.

No comments: