Monday, November 03, 2008

The Imitation of Christ - Part 6


The Imitation of Christ - Thomas a Kempis
Chapter 6
Of Inordinate Affections


"Whensoever a man desireth aught above measure, immediately he becometh restless. The proud and the avaricious man are never at rest; while the poor and lowly of heart abide in the multitude of peace."

I hate going to the mall. Yes, hate. I see things I want. I see things I never knew existed. I see pretty things. Useful things. Clothes I'd love to wear. Furniture I'd like to put in my home. Gifts I'd like to purchase for others.

But it's all stuff I don't need. It's stuff that makes me ungrateful. Discontent. Greedy. Resentful. Restless.

I come home and I know that I already have far more than I need. I have so many books, I'll never read them all. Most of them aren't "stylish" anymore, but I have more than enough clothes to keep me warm. My mom stopped by today to get two loads of clothes to wash for me, while our washing machine is broken. My children did their math totally on their own while I took a short nap, being a little under the weather today. I had time to read my Bible and ponder God's watchcare over Israel. Over me.

I want to abide in the multitude of peace. I want contentment and gratefulness to reign. So I'll count my blessings. And just continue staying away from the mall.

(Photo of St. Petrog's church in North Wales from this site.)

No comments: