Monday, November 10, 2008

Worth It


Doing some goofing around here at the blog this evening. It's fun. I added another blog to my blogroll on the right (last one on the bottom - nice photographs, cheery author, light reading for the most part). I got to thinking. I'm pretty sure that the authors of some would not enjoy reading some of the others. But, that's OK. I like my variety. They all inspire me for one reason or another.

So,... after dinner we all played Pictionary for a little while. Daughter and I (the winning team!) did great until I had to draw "whisper". Then, tucking her into bed and praying with her, she asked if she was worth it. Judging by the look on her face...I knew exactly what she was thinking.

You see, she watched Extreme Makeover on Sunday evening while I was at a Bible study. We've never seen it before, but this episode made quite an impression on her. One of the makeover recipients was a man with cerebral palsy who needed his coffee shop made wheelchair accessible. This same man had been thrown into a dumpster when he was a baby. His story made our daughter wonder in amazement, a) how his mom could throw him in there, b) how he survived, and c) how nice he is, with no trace of bitterness. "Mommy, if you had seen the show, you would have cried."

So, tonight, our daughter wondered if she was worth it. Worth saving. Worth keeping. Worth living.

I held her close, buried my face in her hair, and kissed the top of her head over and over. Then I told her those comforting words she needs to hear so often.

Yes, honey, you're worth it. We love you so much. God loves you so much. He planned it all before you were born. He brought you here. You are our precious daughter.

I love you.

You are worth it!


(photo of our Worth It Girl, doing some goofing around of her own, with lip gloss)

No comments: