Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Myth of Socialization


My son and I are reading Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, about a time in the future where firemen start fires. People are forbidden to read books, so it is the firemen's job to burn any house that contains books. Although there are a few people who hide books and read and talk about them, most people are contentedly busy entertaining themselves with various distractions similar to those of today: sports, radio, TV, movies, amusement parks, etc.

The main character, a fireman, makes the acquaintance of a seventeen-year-old neighbor girl who opens his eyes to new ways (actually old ways) of thinking about the world. When she speaks about why she doesn't attend school, you can't help but think it's a compelling argument for home schooling.

"Oh, they don't miss me," she said. "I'm antisocial, they say. I don't mix. It's so strange. I'm very social indeed. It all depends on what you mean by social, doesn't it? Social to me means talking to you about things like this...Or talking about how strange the world is. Being with people is nice. But I don't think it's social to get a bunch of people together and then not let them talk, do you? ...we [students] never ask questions, or at least most don't; they just run the answers at you, bing, bing, bing, and us sitting there for four more hours of film teacher. That's not social to me at all. It's a lot of funnels and a lot of water poured down the spout and out the bottom, and them telling us it's wine when it's not."

2 comments:

ChickenMama said...

This sounds like one I really need to read. And it's interesting that you bring up this issue of socialization. Recently, a total stranger (college student I think) took it upon herself to comment to our blog that our reasons for homeschooling aren't "legit" in her opinion. She said that some of our objections to public schooling are part of the normal socialization of children. Well, then I don't care to be "normal."

Deb said...

Some people will never understand why we homeschool. A few minds can be changed, I suppose. But, the One we need to be pleasing understands everything, and gives us the will to continue despite obstacles, wouldn't you say?