Friday, August 31, 2007

Bloom Where You Are Planted


This saying got me through many a difficult day when I was pining for a baby many years ago. Sometimes it was very hard to be thankful for the childlessness during our season of infertility.

There are times in my life now when I pine for something else: living away from the city, living a slower life, more in tune with nature and the seasons, and more self-sufficient. My heart knows that The Grass Is Greener syndrome hits us all and we imagine a better life lived somewhere else, when what we often need is to be content where we are. I read these verses today and felt convicted about this dissatisfaction of mine.

Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, to all who were carried away captive, whom I have caused to be carried away from Jerusalem to Babylon: "Build houses and dwell in them; plant gardens and eat their fruit. Take wives and beget sons and daughters; and take wives for your sons and give your daughters to husbands, so that they may bear sons and daughters--that you may be increased there, and not diminished. And seek the peace of the city where I have caused you to be carried away captive, and pray to the Lord for it; for in its peace you will have peace."

Jeremiah 29:4-7 NKVJ

Then, I was also reminded of, "He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much..." (Luke 16:10a NKJV)

I am to be faithful in my little garden, my home, my family.

In other words, I am to bloom where I am planted.

No comments: